Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 61: Tough tough day

I didn't really have it in me to write this post yesterday. The draft sat here, open on my screen, but I couldn't actually type anything. By last night I was emotionally exhausted. I'm not usually a very emotional person, but the events that we awoke to Friday morning were just too much to handle.

I'm sure by now everyone has heard about the shooting at the theater here in Aurora. Of course it has hit everyone in our community so hard. I quickly realized how close to home it really could have hit though. On our anniversary 3 weeks ago we went to the movies. Carl told me that day he was going to go to see Dark Knight Rises on it's opening night at midnight. For 3 weeks I also told him he was dumb to stay up that late on a work night. It wasn't until Thursday morning that his movie buddy told him he didn't want to go that late. Carl had already looked into buying tickets for the exact time and theater that the shooting took place at. We had no idea that day, but the decision to go Friday night instead is the best decision that may have ever been made for our families.

For all of Friday I was on the verge of tears, if not in tears. The thought that Carl could have been there shakes me to my core and I still have a lump in my throat when I think about it. We watched all the coverage yesterday and I turned it on in bed this morning. But as soon as Carson was up and in our room I flipped it off. I can't watch it anymore for my own psyche. I don't ever feel depression or anything, but man do I feel sad still.

Why are Friday's photos of the zoo then? Well, I knew after we got up that I couldn't sit around the house and dwell. I could hardly put a cohesive thought together anyway. We went to have fun and the kids were none the wiser. It was beyond hot so we tired fast, but we see new things every time we go. This week they had this baby leopard that was one of the cutest things EVER. It was hard to get through the crowd for a photo, but you can see it pretty good here. We walked over to the tiger window to actually see the tiger here for the first time! It was quick, but I got it.

IMG_8550 web
Then we almost passed the polar bear up. I noticed a guy putting out food and he announced that he'd be letting the female out when he was done. We normally don't see the polar bears out either so this was a ton of fun to watch her come out and eat.
IMG_8563 web
Untitled
Carson's focus this time was the snakes. I don't know why, but from the start he said that's what he wanted to find. We usually don't go in the reptile building because you can't take in strollers. It was worth all the time he spent in there though. I love seeing his focus grow as he gets older. He is so much more curious in a whole new way. He got to pet a rat snake outside and then recognized another one like it inside in a cage. I was so impressed!
Untitled
Carson was just about spent here.
Untitled

No comments: