Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Day 129: Cast Number 3

9.26.2012

Today marks three weeks since the great arm break of 2012. We got to go back to the hospital and get the third cast of the experience. This time he wanted plain black and was able to get a short one instead of one all the way up his bicep. I would go mental if I couldn't bend my elbow for that long.
He thinks this part with the loud machine and earmuffs is really cool....
Bye bye cast #2...

But despite the typical cheese grin, he hated having no cast on through the waiting and the X-ray. I know when I got my casts off as a kid it was the most physically vulnerable feeling ever. He was really scared that Dr. Brian would push on his arm and make it hurt again. That took a lot of convincing otherwise.
Untitled

It was obvious when I saw it in person that there was a pretty good sized curve in the arm. The X-rays showed the same thing. The bones were straight when the procedure was done, but continued to drift off where they shouldn't. In the end this isn't as bad as it seems and his body will work it all out. I've learned a lot about bone regrowth in the last few weeks! haha   Basically the body will form a ball of bone around it and the parts that don't contribute to it being straight will get disolved. This whole process can take up to 18 months though. At least he's still young enough that he will heal right and won't need any type of surgery or more intervention.
Hello crooked arm.
Untitled

UntitledUntitled
Untitled
Untitled

I have to document the little scare we had on the way out of the hospital. We were headed toward the big bank of elevators and I stopped short to say something to another mom. Before I realized it Carson had pushed the down button and got on an elevator without me. I tried to run for the door, but had the stroller and just didn't make it. I went down to the first floor hoping he'd know to pick that number, but he wasn't there. I luckily found a security guard passing by and he jumped on another one to check each floor. It seemed like an eternity because the other 3 doors opened, but not the one I knew he got on. I was only worried because I realized this was a scenario I had never ever thought of going over with him and he was probably really scared. His elevator finally opened and there he was with the guard and the saddest face. He said he found him "standing on the second floor crying". I felt horrible! Whenever we've talked about it today he's gotten very emotional and I totally take blame for this one. Ugh!  The moral of the story is no matter how prepared you try to be, even seemingly good moms screw up!

No comments: