Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Babyproof, Shmabyproof

The last few days have been especially trying in our household. Carson has managed to outsmart almost all of our babyproofing efforts and we are somehow two steps behind him. The things we now have around to keep him out are getting uglier and uglier as the minutes tick by.

On Friday he figured out how to open the gate into our office. Carl had to secure the office gate door with zip ties (but really, what mechanic doesn't try to zip tie everything?!). You can't really see these, but now we can't open that door at all anymore. It wouldn't seem like a big deal that he's in here, but you wouldn't believe the damage he can cause in a matter of seconds. 

Let's move onto later in the day when he got the front door unlocked and open, multiple times.... On Saturday we ventured to Lowe's to get something to at least secure the front door so he can't escape. He figured out he can push any box or toy up to it, stand on them to turn the lock and the door opens right up.

So now we are sporting a circa 1980s hotel chain!!! At least it is silver, right? It was the only option that would physically fit the door and molding: 


 We thought that was a good solution to our current problems.
Then comes yesterday. 
We have plastic door handle guards on all of the doors on the main level. I don't have the time or energy to keep him out of the garage, cat food, toilet, garbage, etc. so these were a must. I see him swing open the pantry door and assume that I just didn't click it back into place when I shut it last, so I go secure it. A minute later he brings me a bag of cereal. I am VERY curious at this point. I grab my camera and find this:

When he figures out something like this he gets totally obsessed and absorbed in it. It is the only thing he has wanted to do for two days now.

I also forgot to mention he has destroyed two separate stick-on locks on our lazy susan cupboard. Since it's been unlocked for a week or so, this was his obsession. That's where we keep the blender, toaster, decorative dishes etc. so its the stuff he really can't have. In the last two days between all the appliances and the bottom two pantry shelves, my counters look like this:

And tonight the pantry looked like this (I just noticed his sippy sitting there, haha):


Today was also "Play in the bathroom day!"  We have had the garbage in there for awhile since it doesn't really lock. I double-checked and I don't think anything ended up in there or the toilet. I'm pretty sure he got some soap in his mouth though. Arg.
He took two of Carl's shoes from the closet right across the hall and wore them every time he stepped foot in there which was so adorable.



 I have been so busy that I almost don't even care right now. Hopefully tomorrow will be quiet and I can get everything put back together. Carl bought a real lock to screw into the lazy susan with a key so we can really keep him out of there. We figure that it can't hurt to have that in the long run to put stuff like alcohol in when he's older. He also stopped and bought big rubber bands tonight that he tied around all the door handles so there is a lot of tension on the latch. It's really hard for us to lift the lever now so it is impossible for Carson to, at least at this moment. :)

Oh, I'm not done.
He also decided that he can flip the sliding door lock AND the bottom push lock and open up that door. He got it all the way open today. At least for now he can't unlock the screen, but it was so cold and he kept opening it!
 

We can't even be mad at him though. I absolutely adore watching him figure this stuff out and learn new things everyday. If he wasn't doing this stuff I'd probably be worried I guess. He also started saying SIPPY and DIAPER in the last two days to make up for everything. :)
AND - this current scratch on his chin is from him banging a pitcher lid and a blender lid together on his own face. How do you even pull that off??? This was today and it looks much better than it did at first. 


He already thinks the Christmas boxes are more fun that what came in them! We are ecstatic for Christmas this year!


Between really irregular naps and our active child during a super busy work schedule.......

I. Am. Pooped.



1 comment:

The Smith's said...

You poor girl... He is ALL boy! Just wait till he starts trying to sell baby rattlesnakes to the neighbors like Justin did when he was little!
Oh I think we're in for it with all these boys!