Friday, August 13, 2010

Seriously, take away my spatula.

I am just recording this so I have something to refer back to the next time I think I should bake something. Don't let me. Really. 

Yesterday I decided it would be a great activity for Carson and me to make cookies. I had a bag of toffee so I figured I'd just follow whatever recipe was on the bag. The problem was that it said it was for 6 dozens cookies, which I obviously didn't need. As I start throwing ingredients together I decide I'll half it. But then I thought, well, I'll go with 2/3 the recipe. Somewhere between the butter to flour to baking soda ratio, and my lack of actual measuring, something didn't work. 

Oh, and let's also add the fact that my lovely son apparently took one of my mixer arms and I didn't know this until it was too late. Not the easiest thing I've ever done. My whole sink area was covered in flour.

I was preeeeeettttty sure something was wrong when my dough looked like this:

I kept working with it and actually thought they looked like they could be REAL cookies!

Until I took them out of the oven. And tasted them. I like to describe these beauties as "cake cookies". It was kind of like eating a dry cookie or cake that really needed some frosting. Not what I was going for at all. 
I brought one out to Carson in the backyard and he threw it on the ground after one bite. Go me!

Our little fighter has a little swelling and a good cut from his battle with the coffee table corner. At least it isn't a huge black eye like I expected. It's in the worst place though...no band-aids will stick there and he won't let me touch his eyes at all anyways.

I did have a little kitchen redemption last night though. One good thing about Carl not being here for dinner is my mom and I can freely make lots of vegetables to eat!!! I was grilling chicken and wanted to try grilling veggies in foil packets. I made red potatoes, asparagus, red peppers and onions with some olive oil and lots of herbs and garlic.

I honestly thought that since they were in the foil it wouldn't actually be like grilling them. But I can't believe how good they were! They were charred and had a good grill flavor. We had way too much, but YUM!

Daddy comes home tonight too! It's about time. Carson is very excited to get to go to the airport tonight. When Carl came home two weeks ago his flight got rerouted because of weather so we were waiting in the airport for a while and had to go back home without him. My dad is coming in Saturday night too. When I told Carson Grandpa was coming he said, "Yay! Grandpa's coming out of the computer!" Obviously he said this because he talks to Grandpa on Skype all the time, but I couldn't believe he said that. We are all heading up to the mountains on Sunday because Sunday is my BIRTHDAY! :)

No comments: