Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The 4th at 12,600 feet

We were aching to get up in the mountains again this weekend. We had a great BBQ with a bunch of friends here at our house on Saturday night. On Sunday morning we got up early and headed out. At first it looked like it was going to be bad weather. It ended up being in our favor though. The weather was awesome when you got up higher, but bad in the city so people seemed to stay away that day. It was pretty quiet up there which is perfect!
We went up over Loveland Pass towards Keystone and stopped by the sign everyone takes pictures at. It was fun because this was the same place we stopped for our first anniversary weekend which was also about a month before we got pregnant. The boys were running around the hills and stretching their legs.
Our plan was to head up to Montezuma above Keystone and do a trail or two up there. We realized that Carson has been teething for a few days and he hadn't slept AT ALL the night before. Like, literally, he was awake moaning "Mommmmmyyyyy" all night long and didn't want to be held or rocked. Poor guy just couldn't sleep. :(  So even though the trail is super bumpy, he is a sucker for a car ride.

I can't even begin to tell you how gorgeous the views are when you get up where the "real" roads don't go. We meant to take Webster Pass and ended going up Deer Creek Trail. There were run-off streams all over. This one was as tall as the mountain.

One of my main goals no matter where we go is to find as many animal friends as I can. When we got up to the top I spotted this big horned sheep and snapped a quick pic as we drove by. There was a second one just below him over the hill.

The trail normally would keep going from where we stopped, but it was blocked by a large chunk of snow still there. The view up there was 360 degrees and outstanding.

It was a pretty fun place to set up shop and have a picnic.

When we were done having lunch we went all the way back to the bottom and went back up to the real Webster Pass. Carl has been on it before and was determined to go find the "water crossing". It really is a Jeep and guy thing I guess. Anyways, it was pretty neat when we found it.
Yep, that's actually the road he's crossing. He didn't just venture down a river. haha

Carson was so excited to find somewhere that he was encouraged to throw rocks!! :)

When we were leaving I went to find 'Monster Jeep' which is Carson's new favorite toy to bring along. As I walked up the hill I saw this and had to snap a pic. So cute :)

And last, but not least, I have to share some of the randomness I found. 
I knew Montezuma would be a gold mine when this is how they advertise themselves as you pull into town:

I guess this place was a big deal back in the gold rush, but is now somewhat of a ghost town with a few people still sticking around. It has some ancient buildings mixed in with a few newer homes and randomness galore.

Some of my favorite things to see and photograph are bizarre signs, license plates, graffiti and walls. 

And now we come to what is possibly the greatest sign I've ever found. 
Carl and my mom didn't get it, but if you do then it's awesometown.

You didn't think we could go on an outing and get away with less that 3 billion photos, did you?!

1 comment:

The Smith's said...

I love the Stop sign.... I can't believe Carl didn't get it!! Freakin hilarious!!