Thursday, September 3, 2009

My thighs beg you, Child...

Today was a very new and interesting experience for both me and Carson. I went back to the gym for the first time in 3 years and he went to his first daycare. I had a blast. Carson, not so much.

I still have high hopes for this all working out, don't get me wrong. Carl has been going to the gym everyday for almost a year now, but I couldn't find one that had an okay (or affordable) daycare option. I had been toying with the idea of a preschool once or twice a week for a few hours so Carson can get some good playtime in with other monkeys. Then we found a great fitness resort and signed up two days ago since there were no contracts. I figured it was still a cheaper option and we all get something out of it. I wasn't going to do something long term in case Carson didn't cooperate.

Back to today. I made sure he had a good nap and a full belly before I even thought about leaving the house. When we got there I dropped him off, stood in the corner watching for a few minutes and he didn't even know I existed at the time. I was excited that he was off to a great start. They have a paging system so they can call you if they cry for more than 10-15 mintues which I fully expected to hear my name on. After 40 minutes away, I was cautiously optimistic. I figured that was plenty for the first day so I would go get him regardless.

As soon as I walked in I spotted his orange shirt in the arms of one of the women who work there. I flew over to him and saw his face was red and his eyelashes were all wet. I grabbed him, and sort of panicked as I asked if I had missed a page. She said no, but she had been holding him for about 20 minutes because he would start crying if she even thought about putting him down. It was obvious he was pretty upset. She was super nice though and said he actually did better than most for his first day. It took me a few more minutes to get him all the way calm and then he was a zombie on the ride home.

Half of me feels really bad and the other half is excited to try again. Whether we like it or not, there will come a day where he and I are not 2 halves that make one and we will have to suck it up. My only hope now is that he isn't traumatized the next time I try to drop him off!

Other than that, we have been playing in between work all week. The other morning he got a hold of the ziplocks and thought the box was a great toy.


You'll find Carson at the front window waiting for Daddy after work like this everyday.




While we were waiting that day it started raining. I had been watching this yellow bird land on my big flower stem over and over again, but I wasn't fast enough to get a picture. Then from the corner of my eye I noticed this baby bird sitting in a different pot on my porch. I got out my telephoto lens and started snapping shots from inside the window. It seemed to be pretty content and dry so I walked out on the porch to see what it would do. I got right up by it and it didn't even flinch. It is so cool to see animals, even if they are plain brown birds, up this close at home.
Doesn't it look like a little old man with those "eyebrows"?!?!


What else........We have been playing in a big cardboard box with a hole cut out a lot this week (random, I know). Yesterday we sweated at the zoo with Jenn and Katelyn (and baby no-name). Tomorrow we are just going grocery shopping for the weekend and maybe to get some gym clothes at Old Navy. I scored a $45 off $100 coupon tonight so that is a good shopping incentive! Christy and her new fiance, Andy, are flying into town tomorrow night for the long weekend so we are planning a fun time.


I guess that's all for now! Oh wait, Carson also said cheese today for the first time. It actually comes out as "sheesh", but we knew what he meant!

No comments: